Traveling with pets to Mexico whether it is just for the holidays or for a more permanent move is very easy, but you need to know what the requirements are to bring those furry ones to Mexico with you.

But don’t worry as this is very straightforward and, to be honest, it’s likely you will never need the paperwork required, but it’s better to have it and not to need it than to need it and not to have it, especially when you are right at the border all packed up and ready to cross.

What Visa do you need to move to Mexico?

While the border officers do not require any paperwork the SENASICA officers do, so here what the law has to say about it.

From the USDA website and from the Mexican Government website

Upon arrival to Mexico with the pet dog(s) and/or cat(s) in a clean cage(s)/carrier(s), travelers must visit the Mexican Animal and Plant Health Inspection Office (OISA), to contact the official personnel working with SENASICA. The official personnel will verify the following:

  1. That the dog(s) and/or cat(s) does/do not present signs of infectious and contagious diseases.
  2. The animal(s) is/are free of ectoparasites*
  3. The animal(s) does/do not present fresh wounds or wounds in a healing process.

What happens if parasites are detected?

If at the physical inspection parasites are detected, the owner/user should contact a Veterinarian (anyone) to give an appropriate treatment. 

If ticks are detected, the SENASICA personnel will take a sample of the ectoparasite(s) for its diagnostic at the official laboratory, and will verify that all parasites are removed from the pet(s). 

The animal(s) will remain at the OISA [Mexican official office] until confirmation that the parasites are not exotic/foreign to Mexico, or are not under an Animal Health Program (Campaign) in Mexico. Otherwise, SENASICA, through the Animal Health General Direction, will determine the measures to be applied. 

Expenses derived from such actions should be paid by the importer.

If you want to enter Mexico with an animal, other than a dog or cat, you must comply with what is indicated in the Consultation Module of the Zoosanitary Import Requirements

Other requirements/information about inspection at the OISA office in Mexico

  • If your pet(s) is/are under treatment due to lesions and/or infections on the skin due to mites, dermatomycosis, dermatophytosis, hairless or similar lesions, you should present to the official personnel of SADER/SENASICA the diagnostic and treatment instructed by the Veterinarian. Such information should be presented on letterhead, including the professional registration number (or equivalent). Enclosed to the letterhead, it can be accepted as a copy of the professional registration number (or equivalent).
  • Compliance with what is indicated in this document does not exempt the importer from presenting documents, complying with applications and/or procedures requested by other authorities.
  • When the cage/carrier is dirty and/or contains bed disposable (newspaper wood – other materials) toys or edible products, disinfection will be applied, removing all that is inside of the carrier/cage, for proper destruction.
  • Only the portion of food used to feed the animal during the day of arrival will be allowed. 

This HRZ only applies to domestic dogs (Canis lupus familiaris), and domestic cats (felis catus).

Find pet-friendly hotels here.

Frequent Flyer Pet Program

If you travel regularly between the U.S. and Mexico with your dog, you can request to register in the “Pet Program – Frequent Traveler.

When registering your pet in this Program, a document called the Entry Record will be granted, which is an official format issued by Senasica that contains your data and those of your pet, vaccination and deworming record, in addition to the health status of the pet, every time it enters the country.

The Entry Record is valid for 6 months, as long as the rabies vaccine and deworming are valid, and your pet is healthy.

By having your pet registered in the Frequent Traveler Pet Program, you will have the following advantages:

  • During the six-month period, you will no longer have to present another Health Certificate, since our staff will do the physical inspection upon admission to verify it. Users who have this document will have priority of attention to enter the country.
  • No data recording will be necessary anymore, only the validity of the vaccine and deworming will be verified.

The Import Certificate will be sent electronically to email.


  • Fill out the application form
  • Official identification
  • Email
  • Pet photography
  • Vaccination card that indicates the current rabies vaccine (indicate application date, product name, laboratory, batch number, and validity), recent internal and external deworming. (no more than 15 days) (indicate the date of application, product name, the active ingredient, and batch).
  • Recent Health Certificate, with no more than 5 days of being issued

Microchip implantation is suggested as a method of identifying the pet

SENASICA website here

Central Offices telephone 59051000 ext. 51146


Read our guide about moving to Mexico here